At Blue Star Ranch, we want you to feel right at home.
Nothing makes you feel more at home than some home cooking from Hospitality Coordinator, Nicki Rogde.
A Note from Nicki: It’s finally summer!!! With the feel of the sun gently kissing my face and the fun of dipping my toes into the fishing pond, it’s no wonder this is my all-time favorite season. And what is the best part of summer? THE COOKOUTS, OF COURSE!!! Food is my thing and when I can use local ingredients and seasonal flavors my food, it makes cooking a true joy.
This month brings the Fourth of July, and to celebrate the birth of our nation, I wanted to share my favorite summer treat. So, without further ado, my summer loving friends, I give you Blue Star Ranch’s Red, White, and Blueberry Shortcake!!!
For the Biscuits
● 1 cup all-purpose flour
● 2 teaspoons sugar
● 2 teaspoons baking powder
● 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
● 4 ounces (1/2 of a 8 oz. package) cream cheese, cut in cubes
● 1/3 cup milk
● 1 tablespoon milk for brushing the tops
For the filling
● 1 1/2 lbs. of fresh strawberries and blueberries, hulled and sliced
● 1/3 cup sugar per fruit
● Cool whip
For the Biscuits:
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and orange zest in a large bowl.
3. Add in the cream cheese and mash it with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Stir in 1/3 cup of milk and form a dough.
5. Flour hands and divide the dough into 8 balls.
6. Place the dough balls 3 inches apart on a greased baking sheet.
7. With a glass flatten the dough balls to 1/2 inch thickness and brush the tops with milk and sprinkle a bit of sugar on top.
8. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Take out the biscuits and allow them to cool down to room temperature.
10. In the meantime prepare the fruit.
For the filling:
11. Once you have cleaned and sliced them, take 1/3 of the strawberries and mash them with a potato masher.
12. Add in the rest of the strawberries and pour in the sugar.
13. Set aside for at least 20 minutes.
14. Do the same for the blueberries.
Assemble the shortcakes by cutting the biscuits in half.
Place a tablespoon of the strawberry mixture, then add another half of a biscuit.
Place a tablespoon of whip cream on the top of that, then one more half of a biscuit.
Place a tablespoon of blueberry filling and place the final biscuit half on top
top it with whipped cream and voila!
Serve immediately or put the cakes in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Much love on this patriotic holiday,
Nicki, Blue Star Ranch Hospitality Manager